This project focuses on preparing a digital terrain model (DTM) for the entire territory of the Republic of Macedonia using LiDAR scanning from an airplane.
The data created will be particularly useful for flood risk mitigation, flood monitoring and for actions during flood situations, but also for reducing costs of infrastructure projects, enhancing environmental protection and monitoring and spatial planning.
LiDAR surveying provides high accuracy Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data, which allows capture of the bare earth structure that satellites cannot see, as well as ground cover in enough detail to allow vegetation categorization and change monitoring. The resolution and positional accuracy of LiDAR means it can be used to capture and measure above-ground features over large areas including power lines, building outlines and towers.
- LiDar survey of 1/3 of the Republic of North Macedonia (14 blocks) and production of a precise DEM
- Capacity building at AREC
- Engaging stakeholders to utilise the new DEM and LiDAR data through workshops and seminars
- December 19th, 2018: Contract signed for LiDAR scanning of the Republic of Macedonia. Through this project the Agency for Real Estate Cadastre of the Republic of Macedonia, with the support of the Norwegian Mapping Authority, a digital terrain model for the country will be established and capacity built for maintaining and distributing digital terrain data.
The digital terrain model will be prepared by the Polish company MGGP Aero, and this model is part of a larger strategy for the National Spatial Data Infrastructure of the Republic of Macedonia in compliance with the INSPIRE Directive.
- January 23rd, 2019: Kick-off for technical implementation of the LiDAR project.
At a meeting between representatives of the Agency for Real Estate Cadastre of the Republic of Macedonia and the Norwegian Mapping Authority, the work plan for aerial recording and procedure for quality control of the acquired data were reviewed and technical work on the project officially begun.
- June 3rd, 2019: LiDAR acquisition has begun. Polish company MGGP Aero started LiDAR scanning in the beginning of May 2019 for blocks 1 – 4. The deliverables will be quality checked by the Agency for Real Estate Cadastre (AREC) and the Norwegian Mapping Authority. If results of quality control are positive meaning deliverables are according to all requirements and approved, MGGP Aero will proceed with acquisition for the next blocks (5-14). Data from the LiDAR scanning will also be shared with the United Nations Development Programme's country office, as part of their strategic plan for implementation of the sustainable development goals through the ongoing project “Improving Resilience to Floods in the Polog Region”. Without sufficient, reliable, up-to-date high-resolution digital maps (e.g. DTM, DSM), achieving these goals is not possible. Thus, it is natural to share responsibilities and strengthen joint efforts to fight the threat of climate change.
Facts about the project in Macedonia:
Project title: Geographic data for flood risk management
Budget: € 1.4 M
Partner: Agency for Real Estate Cadastre (AREC)
Project period: October 2017 - June 2019