This project focuses on preparing a digital terrain model (DTM) for the entire territory of the Republic of Macedonia using LiDAR scanning from an airplane. The data created will be particularly useful for flood risk mitigation, flood monitoring and for actions during flood situations, but also for reducing costs of infrastructure projects, enhancing environmental protection and monitoring and spatial planning.
LiDAR surveying provides high accuracy Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data, which allows capture of the bare earth structure that satellites cannot see, as well as ground cover in enough detail to allow vegetation categorization and change monitoring. The resolution and positional accuracy of LiDAR means it can be used to capture and measure above-ground features over large areas including power lines, building outlines and towers.
- LiDar survey of the entire Republic of Macedonia and production of a precise DEM
- Capacity building at AREC
- Engaging stakeholders to utilise the new DEM and LiDAR data through workshops and seminars
- Project title: Geographic data for flood risk management
- Budget: € 1.4 M
- Partner: Agency for Real Estate Cadastre (AREC)
- Project period: October 2017 - June 2019